Harrisburg Homeschool Convention 2013

Our family is relatively new to the world of homeschooling.  Last year we attended the annual Harrisburg Homeschool Convention as a perspective homeschool family.  We enjoyed some of the workshops.  We chuckled at the homeschooler jokes.  We largely ignored most of the curriculum displays because we had already decided what we were planning to use.

Now fast-forward a year.  It is convention time again.  Here we are with a year of homeschooling behind us.  We have learned a lot and this year I had questions! This year I joined the throngs of homeschool parents on a mission.  This was my opportunity to compare curriculum and ask questions.  This was my opportunity to try to wrap my mind around what combination of curriculum will work best for our family.  And guess what?  It was fun!

Since Keith wasn't able to go this year I did not even try to attend many of the workshops for parents.  We had to keep it relaxed and child friendly, after all, five to one can be a challenging child to parent ratio.  But there were fun workshops that were geared toward children and we all enjoyed browsing the hundreds of items on display.

We did not actually purchase curriculum yet.  We bought a few books and a couple of audio books but my very favorite purchase?  Well...



This bag has a story... the lady I bought it from was excited and eager to tell me about Grace, a widow in rural Swaziland, who made this bag. Grace knows two English phases, "Praise the Lord" and "Hallelujah".  Hers is a story of grace and redemption and I felt privileged to hear it.



Besides, what woman doesn't like a beautiful bag?  It is big!  It has pockets and zippers. And it is pretty awesome to think about a widow in Swaziland making a bag that I can buy and take with me when I travel to China. See why it is my favorite?


No comments

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!