Special Olympics Opening Ceremony

In some ways I feel like this should just be a post of photos and videos. There is no way words can come close to describing what it was like to be there. But I have to try. I have to at least capture the thoughts that can be captured, inadequate as they may be. 




I was excited going into the experience. I knew it would be awesome, but I wasn't prepared for how strong the sense of community there would be. And I wasn't prepared for how much fun it would be! Right from the start they were getting everyone involved with fun oldies music and good old classics like doing the chicken dance. We yelled and cheered and danced and waved the different celebration towels they handed out. 




When the athletes from each state and the other countries who are participating were announced and the athletes started streaming it was surreal. These are people who worked so, so hard to get here. You could so easily see the joy and excitement on many of their faces. The fans roared from the stands and the athletes kept streaming in. To see families react when they saw their athlete come out or when their athlete was on the jumbo-tron was so touching! I found myself getting misty-eyed a few times. 





There are around 5,500 athletes participating in the games this year. By the time all were introduced the stadium was a rainbow of colors and ashimmer with movement (and heat waves!). The excitement level was off the charts! The athletes were dancing to the music and cheering as each video and interview was shown. Tim Tebow and Julie Foudy were there interviewing athletes.




The message we heard from everyone seemed to be... 

Don't you dare...

underestimate us!

put limits on us!

fail to see us as individuals!

fail to hear our message!




We are...

valuable!

talented!

hardworking!

individuals!

worthy of respect!


I know these things, but being here is a challenge. I want to listen carefully, really hear, and truly
see.

And this is only the beginning!

No comments

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!