The Desires of { My } Heart...

"Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4)

I am, by nature, a quiet type of person.  I hate conflict.  I hate being too busy.  My favorite thing to do is to stay home and just kind of putter along doing my thing without a lot of stress or pressure.  (OK. I also like to take my children wading and sit on a chair with my feet in the water reading a book, but you really can't do that every day.)


My old pair of Tom's are perfect for wading:)

My life mantra is There is more than one right way to do anything. I don't mean in matters of principle of course, but I really don't care how (or if) you clean your kitchen or plan your menus or if you choose to breastfeed or bottle feed your baby or what time you get out of bed in the morning.  I trust that most of us are really trying to do the best we can in the circumstances we are in.  You do your thing, I'll do mine and we will all live happily ever after.

Another characteristic of mine is that I love newborn babies.  Oh my, how I love everything about them!  The way they feel.  The way they smell.  The faces they make.  Their little noises.  Everything, just everything!

So does it not seem strange that the Lord gave me one of the greatest desires of my heart (a daughter) in Kazakhstan and one in China?  And that I needed to leave my home and my children to go get them (when I naturally want to stay at home)?   Does it not seem strange that I had to put together two detailed dossiers that had to be done one and only one right way?  And does it not seem strange that He gave me these wonderful girls at ages 13 months and 3 1/2 years (instead of as newborns)? 

And does it not seem strange that I consider it all to be just perfect??!!

He literally replaced my natural desires and gave me new desires!  He gave me the desires of my heart!  And in the process my eyes were opened to the needs of orphans and my heart was enlarged toward them.

And now?  My desire is to go wherever I need to go.  And do whatever I need to do.  And love every child of any age that I can love, whether for a day or for a lifetime. 

This is the desire of my heart.

2 comments

  1. Oh Erin.... These are the desires of my heart as well. I told my sweet husband I felt we are being called or beckoned again to a hard thing but I hadn't spent enough quiet time with Him to know yet what it is. He agreed that god is not finished with us yet. I pray he reveals himself to me and for now I will be hopeful about thd future

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! If the whole world would view life like this, there would be need for ayis, orphanages, adoption agencies.....etc.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!