Too Old? { The Story of my Snaggle-Toothed Boy }

This is Casper.  He was born on a cold January night in 2005.  The only problem with that was that we were not expecting to meet him until mid-April.  In the middle of  being rushed to the OR so that the necessary emergency c-section could be performed,  I was being told that he may or may not cry at birth, but that they would do everything they could for him.  He cried.  A tiny little sound like a kitten mewing.  Only in my ears it was a loud sound echoing around the OR because I was so tense listening for it.




But this is Casper.  Now he is 7.  And he is a strong, healthy boy.  He is a sweet natured boy who still loves to climb on my lap to be cuddled.  He is my quiet child.  The one who will spend long periods of time driving little cars and trucks around and lining them up in neat, precise rows.  He loves to read.  He spends many a quiet hour curled up with a book.  But he can be loud.  And he can be silly.  I look at him and wonder what he will do with his life.  He is still such an innocent little boy with his life stretching before him.



Now, take a look at the little boys on my sidebar.  Two of them are a few months younger than Casper.  And yet for so many families it is just "too old".  And it just breaks my heart to think of my sweet little Casper being passed over because he happens to be a 7 year old boy who had a "very difficult neonatal path". 

I think about how if Casper were in need in a far off place how we would fight with everything in us to get to him.  To be with him.  We would do anything to be there for our son!

And then I think of how each of these boys are precious to God.  They are God's own dear children.  They are in need.  And God has commanded us to work in His stead here on earth.  Why aren't more Christians standing in the gap?  Why are we not tearing down walls with our bare hands to get to the children in need all over this world!?  There are so many.  The need is so great.  If you cannot open your home to a child, can you financially help someone who can?  If you cannot do either, can you lift these children up in prayer and tell others of the need?  Can you sponsor a child or a family in need?

I do understand that we cannot all adopt and that God does not place adoption on everyone's heart. But He is very clear on this point,  "As you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."  We can all do something.

No comments

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!