Freezer Cooking

There have been way too many times recently that supper time comes and I am left opening and shutting cupboards, frigde, and freezer and staring into them, I suppose in hopes that something will miraculously have appeared since the last time I opened that particular door!

At busy seasons of my life I have found "freezer cooking" so helpful, and it finally occurred to me that perhaps I am, once again, in a busy season.  I decided it is time to be proactive so that the next time I stare disconsolately into the freezer as supper time approaches there is actually something there!

Why a busy season you say?  I was hoping you would ask!  There is something (besides all the "normal" stuff) that has been taking up a nice little chunk of my time recently.  But... I can't tell you what just yet.  There will be a little announcement here next Tuesday morning, though.  I'm pretty excited!

So I planned my menu figuring I'll do it the easy way and just double everything this week and have repeats next week.  But then I started cooking.  And decided I'd save myself a lot of work if I just keep on cooking.

So...
I've now made:
Sausage and Potato Casserole
Butternut Squash Soup
Autumn Casserole
Spinach Lasagna Rolls

I'm hoping to finish up this afternoon with:
Black Bean Burgers
Chicken Taco Soup
Chili (to serve over potatoes or rice)

So there you have it.  I pretty much just double the amount I would normally make (which means 4X most recipes!) and freeze in two portions.  If all goes well we will have suppers for the next two weeks in the freezer by the end of the afternoon.

I know some people cook for the whole month at once, but I'll try this and see how I like it.  As I said, I've tried various methods in the past and it has worked well for us.

OK, off to my kitchen.  If I were a really great blogger I would have incredible pictures of massive amounts of beautifully prepared food taken in a pristine kitchen.  Try to imagine that scene while I go toil on in reality!

5 comments

  1. Gotta check out the soup.
    Oh and that peanut soup you had the time the ladies were at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me wondering now what the announcement is! I am now starting to go through freezer food...such a great blessing to have it there when I need it! (with adding 3 children its been NEEDED!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jolene, I can't wait to tell everyone! It is something new for me and I'm getting excited about the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Erin, you have me curious too. I feel like Curious George. You know how to keep life interesting. Esther Sw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up with the Christian Adoption Link up! I pray that you find new relationships and lots of encouragement from it! Praying for you guys!

    Christie
    http://satisfactionthroughchrist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!