Orphan Sunday 2012


Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names.
They are easier to ignore before you see their faces.
It is easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms.
But once you do, everything changes.
-Radical
by David Platt

Today is known as Orphan Sunday.  It is a day set aside to remember that there are millions of orphans around the world.  I believe the most recent count is around 165,000,000.  I can't even type that without my heart constricting.  And while the number is staggering, I never want to speak about children as statistics.

These are children.  Every one of them is an individual child with their own hurts and needs.  Each one has a unique personality.  Each one has valuable talents.  They each have longings and desires.  Each and every child needs to be treasured by someone who will always be there for them.  Each one is beautiful and of infinite value.  Each little life matters.

I need to present you with another statistic.  There are 2,000,000,000 people who profess Christianity in this world.  Is there something wrong with this picture?  If we Christians are not going to be moved by a cause so close to God's heart then who will?

We can all do something, and I know many of us are.  Ask God how He wants you to help.  And then do it, just do it. You will not be sorry. 

 
 


1 comment

  1. Amen! Awesome post! It breaks my heart (and annoys me) that so many of my friends could make a difference in the life of an orphan but choose to look the other way and think about their comfort level.... :-(

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!