The Lotus Flower - Guest Post by Pat Marcus

Erin asked me to guest post on her blog and I wrote a lovely impersonal piece. It's been sitting on my computer and I have been looking at it and knowing its not good enough. What I want to say is working with waiting children and waiting parents has changed me in every way possible.

Just briefly, I am a pediatric physical therapist who travels to China, works with waiting children, trains caregivers, and helps connect waiting parents to waiting children. I can say although I worked in adoption for years, I have completely dedicated myself to supporting adoption since 2007 when I first went to China.

I am amazed by the depth and willingness to love and be loved by the kids and the prospective families. I have had to dig deep, knowing some children will never know the love of a mom and a dad. I have seen children bond with adoptive parents before they have even seen their picture. I have been given a little lecture by a waiting child about why it takes so long to be adopted. You think all of this would shake my faith? No,really I feel there is such a circle that envelops us all. The old red thread story. If anything, my experiences with adoption have brought me closer to faith and belief. I am more supportive of adoption and adoptive parents than ever. I love all the children I meet and hold them in my heart until the waiting adoptive parents can get them. Even after they are forever special to me.

I believe there is a home, parent and family waiting for every child I meet. It breaks my heart when this does not happen. These children so deserve a happy future. They are lotus buds, arising from muddy water, difficult circumstances. Waiting to bloom and be what was intended, beautiful perfect flowers. Sometimes it takes faith to know that the flower will come from the bud but now I can see the potential flower waiting in every child. The miracle waiting to happen.

This is how adoption has changed me. So I support adoption in any way I can and hope you all will too.

Pat

1 comment

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!