Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Frosting


I spent the day making food.  we have guests invited to our house for Sunday dinner and for Christmas Day, so I am trying to work ahead and make anything I can now.

I think the most fun thing I made (although the Tilted Cranberry Jello cups and the Jalapeno Cheese Balls were pretty fun!) were the cupcakes.  The cupcakes are chocolate, half are frosted with vanilla frosting and half with cream cheese peppermint frosting. 

Can you figure out which is vanilla and which is peppermint? :)
Here is the recipe I used:

Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla 
1 cup boiling water
Directions
Line muffin tin with paper liners. Heat oven to 350*F.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
Stir in boiling water
Fill liners 2/3 full with batter.
Bake cupcakes for approximately 22 minutes.
Cool completely.

Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
6 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
4 cups powdered confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
1 to 3 Tablespoons milk
Directions
Place butter in a large mixing bowl and blend slightly. Add cream cheese and blend until combined, about 30 seconds.
Add powdered sugar (a little at a time) and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.
Add vanilla and peppermint extracts
Slowly add the milk.  Do not add too much!
Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
To achieve the red stripe in the frosting: Before filling a large piping bag with frosting, add some red gel food coloring to a toothpick, and draw three lines with the red dye on the inside of the piping bag. Then carefully fill the piping bag with frosting. Squeeze some frosting into a bowl until you see the red stripes begin to appear.  Then squeeze on to cupcakes.



I know I copied this recipe from somewhere on-line but can no longer find it to give credits to the appropriate person.  If it happens to be yours you can make yourself known in a comment and I will give you all credit!

P.S.  If you are coming to my house soon you will be seeing these again!  I hope you don't mind.  At least you will know exactly how I made them!

2 comments

  1. Just stopped in quick Erin:) these look so yummy...must try them!:) thanks for sharing the recipe!!
    A blessed weekend to u!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry not sure I signed my name....:)
    LaurelLee S :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!