School Days

I've written before about Monday being our school day to do fun extras.  On Monday we do Science.  On Monday we do History.  On Monday we do extra projects.  On Monday we haul out the printer, glue, scissors, paper, stapler, crayons, plaster of Paris, and all of the other things that make enormous messes and interesting projects.

The elementary crew started new lapbooks about the earth in Science.  Learning about the earth is pretty amazing!  They have to each give Daddy an oral report tonight on the many ways the earth is perfect for supporting life.






We just started a new History curriculum because what we had been using was rather, um, B-O-R-I-N-G, and I want my tribe to know that history is anything but boring!  We are now using The Mystery of History Volume I  which begins with creation.  One of the interesting things we learned is that God created people in His image.  So we took pictures of everybody, used the wonderful little photo printer I took to China last summer to print them out, and had each one draw a self portrait.  On each picture they wrote:  [Name]  created in God's image. It is very fun to see the finished products!  Of course, the older boys also had more challenging assignments, but that was one that all five children enjoyed!

























Annika is becoming quite a little reader, sounding out words and learning many sight words.  She is at the point of learning long vowels and consonant diagraphs (or "consonant kilographs" as she says.  Her explainaton?  " I always get die and kill mixed up!").  I love the way little brains work!

Then we have music practice time for the boys and our fun Monday is about over.  They practice their instruments every day, but on Monday they play together for longer and try to learn new songs that they can play together.  I love to see them all working together to learn a song!

Another successful beginning to the school week!  And most of the mess is even cleaned up! :)

1 comment

  1. Beautiful photos, friend. They have really grown up in the year and a half I've been reading your blog. Especially Douglas. He reminds me of my Keelan. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!