On Letting Littles Be Little

As most of you know we are a homeschooling family.  This means we get to decide to a certain extent when we begin to teach what.  I keep seeing the trend toward beginning to teach everything at a younger and younger age and I have been thinking about that.



Now I know some children are very gifted in one area or another and they soak up information like a sponge.  That is not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about wiggly, giggly four year olds being made to behave like six year olds.  I'm talking about children being considered "behind" if they are not reading before first grade. I'm talking about pressuring our babies to learn.



And I watch my sweet Eliana and I say, "Not on my watch!"  I want her to be little now!  I want her to play and imagine and develop at her own pace.  Teaching her is a joy because she is excited and happy to learn new things, but the moment she starts to seem stressed we stop!  She is only five, we have plenty of time.  



Time is so short!  Soon, all too soon, she will have lessons that must be learned and duties that must be performed.  Right now I want her days to be full of playing with blocks and books being read to her and having tea parties with her dolls and playing with Play-Doh.  I want her to sing and chatter and draw and follow me around helping me with little tasks.


So moms of four and five year olds, if your child is not passing all of the academic goals set by today's standards just relax and let your littles be little.  There is plenty of time to teach what needs to be taught.  Treasure these innocent days. They really are only little once!

No comments

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!