An Update on School (Among Other Things)

Our school year is winding down.  We try to start early and take relatively few vacation days so that we can finish in April.  Math books are finished and we are just filling in with some online options.  Most other subjects will be completed within the next week or so.  Everyone has worked hard and done very well, it is a good feeling.

Speaking of online math, we have been using Adapted Mind for some extra practice.  I really like it!  It tests the child's level then gives them the problems they are ready for.  There is a short video lesson for new concepts and if a child works a problem incorrectly it automatically shows how the problem should have been done.  Each day I get an email with a report for each child telling me how many problems they did and how many of those were right.  I think we will continue to use it throughout our summer break.

I really liked our curriculum line-up this year.  I think we will make a few minor adjustments next year (we made a few adjustments as we went along too!), but overall it has been a good combination.

We did achievement tests the other week.  We use an online testing site that uses the CAT from 1970.  This is the same test that was used in the private school the boys went to before we started homeschooling.  I know that these tests are not the most important scores, but it is still fun to see how everyone is doing in comparison with previous years.



Today Annika had her first piano lesson.  She absolutely loved it!  It was so sweet to see her concentrating on doing everything just right!  So now we will have another beginner to listen to.  :)



In other news, I got a new camera lens today!  They are quite expensive, so it is a big deal to get a new one!  This one is a Canon 85mm 1.8.  I also have a 50mm 1.8 and a 35mm 2.0.  Of course I had to try it out right away!

Just because it was the first shot I tried with the new lens! :)
 

It was a beautiful day so we headed to the park.  It was not my favorite lighting since it was full sunlight, but I still got some pretty fun shots!




I want to tell you all about the various projects we've been working on, but I'll save that for another post on another day.

No comments

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!