What Now!?

This is going to be another post about my health.  As most of you know I've had a rough year, but I've gotten steadily better and was miraculously well while I was in China.  I came home with a bit of a bacterial stomach issue which I got over fairly quickly and I felt really great...

Until about a week and a half ago.  My hip joints started giving me problems.  This is not that unusual, so I didn't worry about it.  That is until it seemed to move to my back and the pain increased greatly.  Sitting became impossible, there was no comfortable position to lie in, I was pretty much most comfortable standing, which gets a bit tiring.

After not sleeping much for a couple of nights I was at the end of my rope by Monday morning.  We headed to the Emergency Room where they gave me some blessed pain relief and stronger anti-inflammatory medicines and sent me home with the diagnosis of sciatica/possible lupus flair.

Which leaves me with some questions.  This really seems like a back issue.  I've had a ruptured disc, this seems so much like what I experienced then.  And, while the pain is better than it had been, I'm still really struggling.  And my left leg is numb from the knee down.  Bad feeling that!  So... what now?  The doctor in the ER told me to follow up with my rheumatologist,  but when I called in she said it would be better to follow up with my family doctor.  And really, I'm wondering if I should just go straight to a neurosurgeon, considering I've got a wooden-feeling foot.

Anyway, that is where I am right now.  It is not easy, but God is still here.  He is, once more, near and holding me close through the pain.

4 comments

  1. Oh friend, I am so sorry. I know you've seen a chiropractor in the past . . . perhaps a consultation with them wouldn't hurt? Being out of alignment, the nerves get compressed. Praying that you'll find answers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear of these new problems! I've had sciatica in the past and know how unspeakably painful it can be. I hope you'll find solutions very soon; I know how hard it is to live with intense pain.
    Praying for you...... Mary Beth Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so much like what I went through...right down to the numb leg issue and hip pain! They thought I had lupus, rheumatoid, lyme disease, etc. In the end it Polymyalgia Rheumatica! Diagnosed by my primary physician and treated with steroids...it was a simple blood test to check....just a thought, my friend! Praying continually for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!