Blow By Blow

I know how it goes, you think you will never forget, and then you do.  So I'm going to recount the past week in detail for my sake.  Because I want to remember.

For anyone who doesn't know, the previous couple of weeks I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my back and what we should be doing about it.  On Saturday of last week we got the MRI results showing that I had a very large ruptured disc.

Monday morning I woke up and was unable to put any weight on my left leg.  This posed a huge problem for me since it was nearly impossible to get comfortable in any position except for standing.  But I did the best I could with getting comfortable on the sofa for the day.  Keith called the doctor's office as soon as they opened to tell them about the new symptoms.  Late in the day we heard that I had an appointment with a neurosurgeon on Wednesday.  I thought surely I could hang in there until Wednesday!  That evening my doctor called and said he was looking over notes from the day since he hadn't been in the office.  He was pretty on the fence about whether we should go to the Emergency Room or wait for the Wednesday appointment.  We went to bed having pretty much decided we would head for the Emergency Room the next morning.



And that's what we did.  We took the girls along and headed off.  I felt pretty sure I wouldn't be home again until after back surgery.  We got there and they took all of my symptoms very seriously.  The amazing feeling of pain relief going through an IV is not one I'll forget soon!  Dr. Thurmond was the neurosurgeon on call, he very quickly decided to admit me to the hospital and operate as soon as he could.  He scheduled surgery for the next morning but said if there was a cancellation that afternoon they would operate sooner.  It was such a huge relief to have a plan and to be where I needed to be!  Even with the pain relief available in the hospital I was still in terrible pain most of that night.  By morning I couldn't wait to be put out completely!




Keith, Casper, Annika, and Eliana came and waited with me on Wednesday morning until it was surgery time.  They took me back and the next thing I knew it was over.  And the throbbing pain was gone.  That is the most amazing feeling ever.  To wake up to an absence of pain that has been constant for weeks.

Thursday and Friday were spent in the hospital.  Unfortunately I have a lot of nerve damage and have lost the use of my left leg as well as various other functions.  So I could not go home until I was safe walking with a walker.  By Friday I had accomplished this goal and was cleared to go home.



Now it's Sunday and every day is getting better and easier.  Recovering from back surgery is no picnic, but it's a whole lot easier than living with a ruptured disc!



Once the swelling goes down completely we should have a better idea how badly the nerves were actually damaged.  Nerves can heal, but they heal very slowly, so we are probably looking at weeks and possibly months before my leg is back to normal.  At this point I need a walker to get around.  With time I hope to be able to use a cane and then nothing.  But only time will tell if there is permanent damage or not.

Right now I am just unbelievably grateful that I have access to medical care that many people in the world don't have.  I am now recovering very comfortably.  Every day there is less pain and movement becomes easier.  Every day I cry again with sheer overwhelming gratitude that this ordeal is behind me and I am moving forward and recovering.

4 comments

  1. I'm so glad you've gotten through this and are on the other side, my friend. And so happy that you're feeling so much better. Take care of yourself! I continue to pray for peace and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erin, I am so sorry you were in so much pain, there is nothing worse then PAIN. Why did you wait it out so long? I am trilled that it is behind you ( the surgery ) and that I know recovery will not be a walk in the park at least you are moving in the right direction. I am thinking of you and hoping you heal quickly. (( hugs)) Carolyn and Henry too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, In retrospect we should have insisted on treatment earlier, but we went to the ER twice in the previous week and also went to my family doctor. No one was treating this like a huge deal. The neurosurgeon made it clear that with my symptoms I should have been treated much sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pain is so hard to quantify. Doctors should have a book for pain management for Mennonite women and realize that a 5 on scale on 1-10 is a 9 for a lot of other people :) You are right Erin, nerves take awhile to heal, it took my arm/shoulder about 8 weeks until certain areas stopped hurting and my thumb had feeling....mine was just a "pinched" nerve. ugh, more patience.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!