Classical Conversations Review - 6 Weeks In

As I have mentioned before, our family joined a Classical Conversations homeschool community this year. And, as expected, the children really love it!

Eliana on our nature walk.


I thought I'd tell you a bit how it is really working out for us. We spend about 15-20 minutes per day working on memory work together, then they also listen to all of the memory work for the week individually. There is a lot of memorizing that is expected! Thankfully little brains are like sponges and it is really not hard, it just takes consistency. I love hearing Eliana rattle off all of the prepositions they have learned so far, add the motions and it's really one of the cutest things!

Casper working on an art project


Another thing I really enjoy seeing is their interest and imagination being sparked as they prepare for their weekly presentations. They spend a lot of time researching, writing, and finding pictures or items that illustrate what they are going to talk about. I see that and I think this is why I'm glad we are doing CC!

Freeland hard at work
We are certainly more focused on creative writing with Freeland and Casper than we have been the last couple of years! This was another one of my goals in joining CC and I am seeing the benefits already.

I love watching all of them (Freeland on down) playing and learning with their classmates. They play math games and memory games. They do science experiments and art projects. They are responsible to someone other than me. The tutors do a good job at keeping it interesting and fun.

Annika playing during lunch break. She especially loves the social interaction!

So, over all, it has been a really great fit for our family. Except for one major problem. It knocks me out! It is a long, exhausting day and I'm just not handling it very well physically. And it is every single week. We are trying to think of solutions to this issue, but so far haven't gotten there. I'm hoping that as life slows down now that my China trip and Keith's Ghana trip are over it will seem less overwhelming. I guess time will tell.

I know my physical issues makes it harder for me, but I assume I'm not the only homeschool mom who finds community or co-op day exhausting. How do you deal with it? I would love some helpful pointers! I really want to make this work!

No comments

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!