To My Daughters' Mothers

I do not know you.  I don't know where you live or what you look like.  I wonder how tall you are, what your voice sounds like, and what you enjoy doing.  I do not know you, you do not know me, but we are as intimately connected as women can be.  I do not know so many things about you, but when I hear my daughter's laughter (the most adorable little giggle in the world) I wonder if it is an echo of your laugh. 

When I see how Annika spins and twirls through her days I wonder if her grace comes from you.  Sometimes when she says something it is as if I am speaking, or other times she does something that is just like something her daddy would do.  But then there are times that her grace and beauty catch me off guard and I wonder if I just caught a tiny glimpse of you.  Where did her spunk and independent spirit come from?  I know she learned some things from us, but not all, I'm quite sure not all...  I wish I could tell you how amazing she is and how much we love her. 

And watching my Eliana with her tender little heart I wonder, did it break your heart to need to give her up?  When I see how she so quickly endears herself to everyone who knows her I wonder if you are one of those special, gentle people who leaves a quiet impression on everyone?  When I hear my little girl sing I wonder, did she get that gift from you?  If I could talk to you I would tell you first how much we love her!  I would tell you how she puts her little arms around my neck and squeezes.  I would tell you how she laughs and cheers while she is ice skating and how she begs for ice cream.

I do not even hope to ever meet you, but we will always be connected.  The mothers who carried my daughters, the one who gave them life, and the mother who gets to be their "Mommy".  You have given me an unimaginably beautiful gift and tonight I pray that you somehow feel my enormous gratitude, that you feel a whisper of love and peace in your hearts. We are sisters, joined by bonds stronger than blood, and I love you more than you will ever know!

1 comment

  1. mother's day always makes me think about my youngest son's other mom also :)
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!