Stacked Pancakes {Pure Maple Syrup}

When I was a child my mother loved the Little House on the Prairie books. She read to us in the evenings in the winter months. I don't know how many times we read through the series. We had our favorites for various reasons. Farmer Boy was about the food. We would try making what we read about. Mom even tried apples and onions once. That wasn't so great, but the bacon and pancakes and jellies... those were fun! It was thanks to Farmer Boy that we started sometimes dipping our bacon in flour before cooking it to give it a different crunch.



I've always wanted to try the amazing-sounding stacked pancakes that Almanzo's mother made on Sunday mornings. The fluffy pancakes slathered in butter then liberally sprinkled with maple sugar before being added to the stack were described in great detail including the way the sugar and butter melted together and ran down the sides of the pancakes. The only problem was, out in West Texas we didn't exactly have lots of maple sugar. So we never tried it.



This week Keith decided to add pure maple syrup, maple cream, and, you guessed it, maple sugar to our inventory at Ebenezer Groceries. As soon as I saw it I knew what we would be having for breakfast on Sunday morning.



And they were good. Really good.

And the butter and maple sugar melted together and dripped down the sides. It really did. It was everything I hoped for. It even had a little bit of crunch from the sugar that I wasn't expecting, but that added to it! And the pure maple flavor was simply amazing!

How else should I use the rest of my bag of maple sugar? How do y'all use it?



My next thing to try is going to be the maple cream. I'm pretty tempted to just open it and eat it straight out of the jar, but I'm guessing there are better ways to use it. Any suggestions?

No comments

I love hearing from friends ~ new and old!